$157m sought to reinstate Bahrain housing plan
Manama, April 9, 2014
Bahrain's Parliament wants an extra BD60 million ($158.3 million) included in this year's budget to reinstate a government housing scheme that was scrapped three years ago.
MPs unanimously approved the proposal yesterday and submitted it to the Cabinet, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.
They claim 4,172 families are living in dangerous conditions including 1,442 in the Northern Governorate, 997 in the Central Governorate, 834 in Manama, 759 in Muharraq and 140 in the Southern Governorate.
Poor families were previously given grants from the Royal Charity Organisation to fund refurbishment work under His Majesty King Hamad's Scheme for Dilapidated Homes, but it became a loan-based system in 2011 under the Housing Ministry.
The request for BD60 million was submitted to parliament by Bahrain's five municipal councils, which want 2,000 homes rebuilt.
However, Housing Minister Bassem Al Hamer said his ministry would continue to provide only loans. - TradeArabia News Service