Egypt to raise stimulus; plans minimum wage
Cairo, October 21, 2013
Egypt will spend 29.6 billion Egyptian pounds ($4.30 billion) on a stimulus package to get its moribund economy going, a third more than previously planned, according to a Finance Ministry statement on Monday.
The original plan announced in August had provided for around 22.3 billion pounds in additional spending on a variety of projects, but the ministry said the increases would not push this year's budget deficit above the previous goal.
"This financial package will not increase the budget deficit of the state from the government target of 10 percent due to the success of reforms taken lately and the effects of the Arab aid packages," the statement said.
The economy of the Arab world's most populous country has been crippled by social and political turmoil since Hosni Mubarak was ousted in 2011 but has been helped in recent months by funding from several Gulf states.
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE promised a combined $12 billion in loans, grants and fuel shipments after the army, prompted by mass protests, overthrew the country's first democratically elected president Mohamed Mursi on July 3.
The statement also said that the government plans to implement a minimum wage early next year which would cost the country 18 billion pounds annually.
"The government is committed to implementing the minimum wage starting from next January which will cost the public treasury around 9 billion pounds during the second half of the current financial year, rising to 18 billion pounds annually," the statement said.
Egypt's Trade and Industry Minister told Reuters earlier this month that Egypt plans a second stimulus package by early next year that will likely be equal or larger than the 22.3 billion pounds announced in August. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track