KIDNAPPED: Libyan PM taken by gunmen
Tripoli, October 10, 2013
Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has been taken by force by gunmen from a hotel where he was staying in the capital Tripoli, security guards at the hotel said on Thursday.
The circumstances were unclear, but guards at the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli said gunmen had taken the Libyan leader from the hotel. One guard described it as an "arrest", but another told Reuters the men were militants.
Government officials could not immediately be reached to confirm Zeidan's whereabouts.
Al-Arabiya television channel quoted Libya's justice minister as saying that Zeidan had been "kidnapped" and showed what it said were video stills of Zeidan frowning and wearing a grey shirt undone at the collar surrounded by several men in civilian clothes pressing closely around him.
A group of former Libyan rebels said it seized Zeidan because of his government's role in the US capture of a top Al Qaeda suspect in the Libyan capital.
"His arrest comes after the statement by John Kerry about the capture of Abu Anas Al-Liby, after he said the Libyan government was aware of the operation," a spokesman for the group, known as the Operations Room of Libya's Revolutionaries, said refering to the US Secretary of State.
Two years after a revolution toppled Muammar Gaddafi, Libya's fragile central government has been struggling to contain rival tribal militias and Islamist militants who control parts of the country.
Last weekend, the US military captured a top Al Qaeda suspect in Tripoli in a raid that angered Islamist militant groups, including one blamed for the 2012 attack on the US consulate, in Benghazi. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest