Oman to unveil privatisation plans in Jan
Dubai, September 26, 2013
Oman plans to release in January a list of state companies which it aims to privatise, Minister for Financial Affairs Darwish Al-Balushi was quoted as saying by state news agency ONA.
"We are a few months away from the announcement of the new budget, which is currently under preparation and will be announced on January 2. The 2014 budget will see the announcement of the companies that will be privatised," he said.
Balushi said the government owned more than 60 companies across various sectors, including some well-established firms with good profits and robust performance.
"We have a privatisation strategy, which was approved by the government. That is a two-fold strategy, which opens the doors for the private sector to venture into new projects on the one hand and reduces the government stake in...companies that are wholly or partially owned by the government," he said.
Asked whether the country's national carrier Oman Air was among the companies slated for privatisation, Balushi said the airline, which is expected to present its 10-year strategy to the government, was likely to be sold at an appropriate time. He did not elaborate on the privatisation schedule.
Oman, a small non-Opec oil exporter, has smaller energy reserves than its wealthy Gulf neighbours and, after raising spending sharply in the last few years to improve social welfare and create jobs for its citizens, faces a challenge in managing its state finances.
The International Monetary Fund warned in June that the country would need to contain spending growth and raise non-oil income in the medium term to keep its finances sustainable.
The IMF predicted Oman's state budget could slip into a deficit of 0.9 per cent of gross domestic product in 2015, widening to 6.8 per cent in 2018.
Oman said earlier this month that it planned to sell a 19 per cent stake in its biggest mobile telecommunications operator Omantel, which could raise $595 million. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'