Image: Courtesy The National
Suicide bomb threat: Dubai office evacuated
Dubai, September 1, 2013
The Dubai Prosecutions building has been evacuated after an apparent suicide bomb threat, according to a report in The National newspaper website.
A woman visitor, believed to be either Chechen or Syrian in her 30s, threatened to detonate an explosive belt, the report said quoting prosecution sources.
They said the woman entered the building shortly after 1 pm accompanied by a child, thought to be aged 6, and stood next to the reception desk.
Sources said the woman was known to prosecutors and had previously visited the building on numerous occasions. Her husband is thought to be a Syrian in custody.
It is believed that the woman is demanding to talk to a high ranking official, the report said.
Police, Civil Defence, ambulance, and rescue personnel have cordoned off the area around the building in Bur Dubai close to the floating bridge and bystanders are being moved away.
At around 3.50 pm, officers escorted a female lawyer into the building to speak to the woman, the report said.
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest