Bahrain telcos told to block online terror forums
Manama, August 14, 2013
Telecom companies in Bahrain have been urged to block websites and online forums that promote and fund terrorism by the Minister of State for Communications.
Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa met top Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), Batelco, VIVA, Zain and Menatelecom officials, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
A special team, comprising representatives from the ministry and telecom firms, has been set up to monitor websites and social media networks 24 hours a day.
Shaikh Fawaz directed the TRA to take legal action against companies which fail to follow the new regulations.
He also called on communication companies to take action against text messages sent from abroad that promote violence.
The ministry has been tasked with overseeing a multi-agency effort to halt social media abuse and access to websites that encourage acts of terrorism.
It follows recommendations issued by Bahrain's National Assembly during an extraordinary session last month to implement stronger anti-terrorism measures.
A hotline (80008885) and an e-mail account (firstname.lastname@example.org) have already been set up to receive complaints about the abuse of social media to incite violence and encourage terrorism.- TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi
- Iran proposes new regional bloc
- GCC union 'best option to confront threats'
- Bahraini firms protest postal fee rise
- Obama defends Iran deal, seeks to assure Israel