Oman’s Sultan pardons jailed activists
Dubai, July 23, 2013
Oman's Sultan Qaboos has pardoned activists jailed for taking part in anti-government protests two years ago, media reported, his latest gesture to citizens worried about unemployment and inadequate pay.
State news agency ONA gave no precise figures for those pardoned, but Gulf News, a newspaper published in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), said on Tuesday it covered 14 people serving prison sentences ranging from 30 months to five years.
Qaboos ordered the pardon to coincide with the anniversary of his accession to power in 1970 after he overthrew his father.
Those pardoned also included people convicted of blocking roads, obstructing police officers while doing their work and attacking government facilities, according to ONA.
"This pardon is another opportunity provided by the state to its citizens to remain loyal people who contribute to the building of their country, maintaining its achievements and being involved in blessed work and march to ensure progress, security and stability of the nation," the agency said.
Along with the pardon, Qaboos ordered those dismissed from private and public jobs after the 2011 protests to be reinstated.
The Arabic-language Azaman newspaper also that some members of an espionage ring uncovered in 2011 were also pardoned and had gone home.
ONA said at the time that the spy ring was linked to the UAE and targeted Oman's military and government. The UAE has denied links to any such network but the case soured relations between the two neighbours. Ties have since improved.
The Omani government sought to ease public discontent in February by announcing plans to limit the number of foreign workers and sharply raise the minimum wage for locals in a drive to increase employment of Omani citizens.
Qaboos had already pardoned some Omanis jailed for defaming the country's ruler or taking part in protests in March.
Oman, which sits on the Strait of Hormuz through which some 40 percent of the world's sea-borne oil exports passes, has also pledged to create tens of thousands of public sector jobs.
But delays in implementing the promises have left protests simmering, with some anger focused on the 72-year-old sultan. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest