Pull fighters out of Syria, Hamas tells Hezbollah
Moscow, June 17, 2013
The Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement on Monday urged Lebanese militant group Hezbollah to withdraw its forces from Syria, where they are battling for President Bashar al-Assad, and focus on fighting Israel instead.
Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, was once an Assad ally but last year endorsed the revolt against him in a shift that at the time deprived the Syrian leader of an important Sunni Muslim supporter in the Arab world.
"We call on Hezbollah to take its forces out of Syria and to keep their weapons directed against the Zionist enemy," Moussa Abu Marzouk, a Cairo-based Hamas leader, said on his Facebook page.
The call marked a further deterioration in relations between Hamas and Hezbollah, two long-time allies who have each fought against Israel and advocate its destruction.
Abu Marzouk said Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah's involvement in Syria, where Assad, a member of the Shi'ite-rooted Alawite sect, is fighting mainly Sunni rebels, had stoked sectarian conflict.
Hamas has denied some Lebanese media reports that its fighters were present in Syria to train rebels in weaponry, bomb-making and tunnel digging.
On Friday, Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah promised his group would keep fighting alongside Assad's forces after it spearheaded the recapture of the strategic town of Qusair.
Hamas's leaders in exile were once based in Damascus but left, mainly for Egypt and Qatar, in 2012 as the civil war escalated.
Meanwhile Russia, a veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council, said it will not permit no-fly zones to be imposed over Syria.
"I think we fundamentally would not allow this scenario. The calls for a no-fly zone showed disrespect for international law," Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich told a news briefing.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain