Laywer Ali al Ali announces the Kuwait court's decision to dissolve parliament.
Kuwait dissolves parliament, orders new elections
Kuwait, June 16, 2013
Kuwait's top court on Sunday ordered the dissolution of parliament and called for fresh elections, officials said.
The Constitutional Court made its ruling after throwing out opposition challenges to changes to the electoral system decreed by the emir, hereditary ruler of the oil-exporting country, head judge Youssef al-Mutawa told reporters.
Political stability in Kuwait, owner of more than six percent of global oil reserves, has traditionally depended on cooperation between the government and parliament, the oldest and most powerful legislature in the Gulf Arab states.
The development is a blow to opposition politicians who boycotted a parliamentary election in December in protest at the electoral rules. The election was the fifth since 2006 and political upheaval has held up economic development and reforms.
"This verdict today is the worst decision," former opposition MP Waleed Tabtabie wrote on Twitter.
The new voting rules, decreed six weeks before the poll, triggered mass protests. Police packed the court complex on Sunday after opposition figures said they would demonstrate if the emir's decree was upheld.
The opposition case challenged the constitutionality of the move by the emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah, to reduce the number of votes allowed per citizen in parliamentary elections to one from four.
Political parties are banned in Kuwait so candidates campaign on an independent basis. Under the old system, voters could place four votes of equal weight for a candidate in their constituency. In December elections they could pick only one.
Protesters said the new rules aimed to weaken the opposition, which was able to form effective parliamentary alliances under the old four-vote system in the absence of parties. The government said the new voting system brought Kuwait in line with other countries.
The court ruling may divide the opposition, most of whose politicians have said they would not contest elections under the one-vote rule, though some may decide to re-enter the political system now the change has been approved by the top court.
Kuwait, which sits in a strategic position between Saudi Arabia and Iraq and across the Gulf from Iran, has the most democratic political system in the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council. Its parliament has legislative powers and can hold government ministers to account.
However the emir has the final say in state matters and chooses the prime minister who in turn picks a cabinet, with members of the ruling Al-Sabah family occupying the top posts.
"The court's decision today enhances the durability of the democratic system," Information Minister Sheikh Salman al-Humoud al-Sabah said in a statement.
Last year's disturbances were unusual in their size and because those involved directly questioned the emir's policies. He is described as immune and inviolable in the constitution and dozens of Kuwaitis have been charged with insulting him, mainly on social media.
He is due to address the nation on state television later on Sunday. According to the court ruling, the emir must dissolve parliament and call elections. That could happen after the holy month of Ramadan which starts early next month.
Opposition politicians, who boycotted December's poll in protest at the decree, said changes to the voting system should be agreed by parliament.
The opposition boycott of the election meant that liberals, Shi'ites, non-aligned MPs and newcomers to parliamentary politics were elected to the assembly, working relatively well with the cabinet.
The more cooperative political environment has helped fuel a more than 30 percent rise of the stock exchange since the beginning of the year. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi 'must name and shame corrupt officials'
- Libya's ousted PM Zeidan on way to Europe
- Bahrain set for big eGovernment forum
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up