OCI chief executive Nassef Sawiris
Egypt bars OCI chief from leaving country
Cairo, March 4, 2013
Egyptian authorities have barred the chief executive of Orascom Construction Industries, one of the country's biggest companies, from leaving the country as part of an investigation into tax evasion, state media said on Sunday.
The public prosecutor ordered that OCI chief executive Nassef Sawiris and his father Onsi Sawiris be barred from travel, the state news agency Mena said.
The order from the public prosecutor is part of an investigation into accusations they evaded about 14 billion Egyptian pounds ($2.1 billion) of taxes during the sale of Orascom Building, an OCI subsidiary, to French firm Lafarge, Mena said.
Reuters could not reach either Sawiris for comment, and an official from Orascom was not immediately available.
A banker and friend of the family said the men were out of the country. Under the order, they would be detained on arrival if they returned.
A lawyer for OCI, Hani Sarie el-Din, told state-owned newspaper Al-Ahram he was "surprised" by the decision.
Negotiations about the taxes from the deal were continuing, the paper's website quoted him as saying. "There was nothing suggesting a dead end in the negotiations."
Last week an official said the government was holding talks with OCI to dissuade it from delisting from the local stock exchange.
Last January the Dutch-listed parent, fertilizer and construction firm OCI NV announced an offer to acquire the ordinary shares of its Egyptian-listed subsidiary.
The Egyptian Financial Supervisory Authority (Efsa) asked last month for more information on the offer, a move that could delay completion of the deal under which some US investors including Bill Gates would pay shareholders who choose to sell their ordinary, Egyptian-listed shares. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest