Donors raise $1.5bn for displaced Syrians
Kuwait, January 30, 2013
Donor countries have pledged more than $1.5 billion for Syrians displaced by nearly two years of fighting, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said, after a donor conference in Kuwait.
Ban told the final session of the one-day conference that the meeting has "reached its target" of $1 billion of aid for Syria's neighbours hosting refugees and another $500 million to fund humanitarian work for 4 million Syrians afflicted by the civil war inside the country.
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE have pledged to provide $300 million each to help fund humanitarian efforts for Syrians affected by nearly two years of conflict.
The Saudi aid announcement was made by the kingdom's Finance Minister Ibrahim Alassaf at the Kuwait conference.
Kuwait's emir also pledged to give $300 million. Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah told the meeting that "horrifying reports" of violence had raised questions over the future of Syria and aid efforts had to be redoubled.
UAE Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, announcing a $300 million aid, said since the start of the Syria crisis the UAE had been committed to providing relief for Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries.
US President Barack Obama has announced an additional $155 million in humanitarian aid for Syria, bringing the total US contribution to some $365 million, the State Department said.
Earlier, Ban appealed to all combatants in Syria's civil war to stop fighting "in the name of humanity".
Ban said: "I appeal to all sides and particularly the Syrian government, to stop the killing ... in the name of humanity, stop the killing, stop the violence."
More than 60,000 people have been killed since the 22-month-old conflict began, the United Nations says. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Alwaleed Foundation backs women in politics
- Saudi 'must name and shame corrupt officials'
- Libya's ousted PM Zeidan on way to Europe
- Bahrain set for big eGovernment forum
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain