Minister of State for Information Affairs Sameera Rajab
No deadline set for Bahrain talks: minister
Manama, January 28, 2013
No timeframe has been fixed for a new national dialogue in Bahrain, which could start as early as this week, said a senior government official.
There is no deadline for participants to reach a consensus on key issues facing the country, Minister of State for Information Affairs Sameera Rajab told our sister newspaper, the Gulf Daily News (GDN).
"It all depends on the participants," she said. "How fast they reach and finalise on issues."
Rajab added that issues agreed upon by participants would be forwarded to the government for further action.
"There could be constitutional amendments or even some issues referred to parliament by the government for implementation as part of the mechanism," she explained.
She said the process was still being finalised, which meant she could not give an exact number of invites that were being sent out to participants by the Justice, Islamic Affairs and Endowments Ministry.
"There will be an official spokesperson appointed by authorities to co-ordinate with the media to cover the National Consensus Dialogue," said Rajab. "The dialogue will start in the coming days or early next month."
Sources told the GDN that political societies or coalitions invited to the talks had been asked to nominate six members or representatives to take part.
"There will be a series of preparatory meetings where the agenda will be finalised, tabled and then made ready for discussion between the participants," said sources.
A venue for the dialogue and the timings are yet to be announced. – TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest