Egypt pound's decline slows at 4th auction
Cairo, January 3, 2013
Egypt's pound slid further on Thursday at the central bank's fourth auction of foreign currency and hit a new record low in the interbank market although the pace of its decline slowed from earlier in the week.
The central bank said it sold $74.9 million sold to banks at Thursday's auction at a cut-off price of 6.3860 pounds.
That was weaker than Wednesday's cut-off price of 6.3510 to the dollar.
The pound has lost more than 3 percent of its value against the dollar this week at the auctions, which began on Sunday. They are part of a new currency regime designed to slow the depletion of the country's foreign reserves, which the central bank said had fallen to a critical level.
On the interbank market, the pound slipped to around 6.42 to the dollar, a new record low, from around 6.39 on Wednesday.
The bank has sold $75 million in foreign currency at all four auctions this week and economists say that, with its foreign reserves so low, Egypt cannot afford to continue its daily currency auctions.
Foreign reserves stood at $15 billion in November - a figure economists say covers less than three months of imports. The central bank is expected to release the December foreign reserves figure within days.
The country sank into crisis after the fall of Hosni Mubarak in a 2011 revolution but a new bout of political strife has wrecked the economy in the past weeks and sent Egyptians scrambling to swap pounds for U.S. dollars.
President Mohamed Mursi, under pressure to show authority and ease a growing sense of nervousness, has dismissed talk on the street that his nation was on the brink of bankruptcy. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi 'must name and shame corrupt officials'
- Libya's ousted PM Zeidan on way to Europe
- Bahrain set for big eGovernment forum
- Ministries under fire for 'failing to implement projects'
- Bahrain finance minister to be quizzed over irregularities
- 2 policemen hurt in Eker blast
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up