Egypt military orders demonstrators to evacuate
Cairo, December 6, 2012
Egypt's Republican Guard, which deployed around the presidential palace on Thursday, said demonstrators must evacuate the area by 3 pm. (1300 GMT), the presidency said in a statement.
Opponents of President Mohamed Mursi and his Islamist supporters clashed on Wednesday night and Thursday morning during rival demonstrations that were sparked by Mursi's decision last month to expand his powers.
A Reuters witness said some of the hundreds of Mursi's backers who had camped overnight around the palace perimeter had started leaving before the deadline.
Meanwhile, President Mohamed Mursi will give a speech to the nation on Thursday, the state-run Nile News TV said, quoting a presidential adviser. It gave no further details. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- Nine officials held in Oman graft trials
- Bahrain 'ready for GCC union'
- GCC plans new law for domestic workers
- Bahrain plans big celebrations for National Day
- Abu Dhabi Ports institute hosts special courses
- Auditing push for small enterprises in Bahrain
- US, UK have failed Syrian rebels says Saudi prince
- Israel-Palestinian deal possible by April says Kerry
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team