Dubai passenger held for diamond smuggling
Johannesburg, November 17, 2012
South African police have arrested a 25-year-old man for attempting to smuggle 220 diamonds out of the country by carrying it in his digestive tract through Johannesburg's main airport.
The Lebanese national bound for Dubai had swallowed $2.25 million worth of polished diamonds before he was stopped before a security checkpoint at Africa's biggest airport and then relieved of his concealed cargo, police said.
"We used laxatives to remove the diamonds," police spokesman Paul Ramaloko said on Thursday.
The man will appear in court on Thursday. In March, police arrested another Lebanese national who was attempting to smuggle $1.69 million worth of diamonds out of South Africa.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- GCC leaders to set up joint military unit
- GCC alarmed over Iran's plans for more nuke plants
- Criminals 'are going hi-tech'
- 'Gulf nations ready to face challenges'
- Bahrain launches eGov Apps Store
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base