Iran boosts naval presence over disputed islands
Tehran, November 5, 2012
Iran will increase its naval presence in the Gulf to strengthen its authority over three islands - near the oil shipping routes at the mouth of the strategic Strait of Hormuz - which the UAE says are its territory, Tehran said.
The islands - Greater and Lesser Tunb and Abu Musa - and the challenge over their sovereignty is a constant threat to Iran's fragile relations with its Arab neighbours.
"The security of the Iranian islands in the Persian Gulf is part of the various strategies of the naval force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps," IRGC Commander Mohammad Ali Jafari said, according to the website of state television IRIB.
Jafari was speaking at a ceremony inaugurating a fifth "naval defence zone" at the port of Bandar Lengeh. He said the IRGC was "increasing, expanding and improving the expert capability in naval defence" in the five zones.
"The fifth zone of the Guards' naval force is one of the naval defence chains which is in particular responsible for the defence of the Iranian islands in the Persian Gulf," he said.
The 41-year-old dispute between Iran and the UAE over the islands has nationalist and ethnic overtones and was inflamed when President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad visited Abu Musa in April.
In September, UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahayan said Iran's "occupation" of the three islands was against international law.
Last month Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Tehran would consider downgrading ties with the UAE over the dispute, although the foreign ministry later denied the report, according to state television.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest