Opposition plans protests in Kuwait despite warning
Kuwait City, November 4, 2012
The opposition in Kuwait will press ahead with a march on Sunday to protest against new voting rules despite the government warning it will not tolerate unsanctioned demonstrations, an activist said.
The Opec member and US ally said on Saturday it had not authorised any protests and the prime minister warned police could use force if the authorities felt the state was under serious threat.
Kuwait has avoided the kind of mass pro-democracy unrest seen in other Arab countries, but tensions have mounted between the elected parliament and the government, which is dominated by the Al-Sabah ruling family.
Last month an opposition-led demonstration by thousands ended in clashes between protesters and police in which at least 30 people were taken to hospital.
"We will continue. The opposition no longer cares about government statements," an opposition activist said, declining to be named.
Kuwait's stock index fell to its lowest level since July 2004 on Sunday, according to Reuters data.
Opposition politicians, youth groups and their followers have taken part in recent demonstrations protesting against changes to an electoral law, which was announced last month by ruler Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah.
Some opposition politicians have said the changes are an attempt to give pro-government candidates an advantage in parliamentary elections set for December 1, and have said they will boycott the poll.
Sheikh Sabah met tribal leaders on Sunday, state-run news agency Kuna said. One of the tribal leaders, who was from an unnamed foreign country, urged people not to demonstrate, the report said.
"A COUP AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION"
The opposition has called the changes - which allow voters to choose only one candidate per electoral district - "a coup against the constitution", saying the reform would prevent its candidates from winning the majority they won in the last vote.
Forging an electoral alliance, which depends on supporters of one candidate voting for another in exchange for reciprocal support, would become unfeasible under the new system, they say. Political parties are banned in Kuwait so lawmakers rely on being able to form blocs based on policy and family ties.
However, the government says the amendments to the electoral law were needed to preserve national unity.
"The state does not... want to use violence, but when the security of the homeland is endangered and the safety of its citizens at risk, it will not hesitate to use force in the framework of the law and the constitution," state news agency Kuna quoted Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber al-Mubarak al-Sabah as saying late on Saturday. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escape
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged