Shahin fled UAE after threats say lawyers
Sanaa, August 13, 2012
Bailed US businessman Zack Shahin fled the UAE to Yemen because he feared for his life after threats were made against him, his US-based legal team said on Monday, but a Dubai security official denies this.
A Yemeni security source said Shahin, the former chief executive of Dubai real estate developer Deyaar who had been jailed since 2008 for embezzlement, had slipped into Yemen after a car trip across Oman from the UAE.
Shahin, now in Yemeni custody, went on hunger strike in May and was freed on $1.4 million bail last month after US authorities expressed concerns about his health.
'The man entered Yemen by car last week ... He is currently being detained in Sanaa,' the security source told Reuters.
Smuggling and undocumented travel is common across Yemen's porous desert borders. Shahin is set to be deported back to the UAE this week, Yemeni sources told Reuters on Sunday.
In an emailed statement, a spokesman for Shahin's legal team said the businessman jumped his bail because he feared for his safety after threats were made against him.
A Dubai security official denied Shahin had been in any danger. 'This is all nonsense,' the official said, declining to be identified due to the sensitivity of the matter.
'He was on bail so he should have waited for the complete legal procedures. He could have complained to the US embassy if that was true.'
Dubai police and the US embassies in Sanaa and Abu Dhabi all declined to comment.
The former executive's flight may embarrass US authorities, who had exerted pressure on the UAE to resolve Shahin's case, especially after he went on hunger strike. There have been hearings on his case in Dubai, but no judgment. - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'