Saudi recalls envoy, shuts embassy in Egypt
Riyadh, April 28, 2012
Saudi Arabia said on Saturday it had recalled its ambassador from Egypt for 'consultation' and would close its embassy and consulates in the Arab nation.
State news agency SPA said the reason behind the diplomatic move was 'unjustified protests' in Egypt and attempts to storm the Saudi embassy and consulates which 'threatened the safety of its employees'.
Egyptians have protested outside the embassy over the arrest of an Egyptian lawyer and human rights activist in the kingdom. Egyptian activists had said the lawyer was arrested for insulting King Abdullah after filing a complaint against Saudi Arabia for its treatment of Egyptian citizens in Saudi prisons.
Saudi Arabia said he was arrested in possession of drugs.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Norton Rose boosts Mideast team
- GCC to set up joint military, police unit
- GCC alarmed over Iran's plans for more nuke plants
- Criminals 'are going hi-tech'
- 'Gulf nations ready to face challenges'
- Bahrain launches eGov Apps Store
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day