Bahrain to set up new probe committee
Manama, December 10, 2011
The Public Prosecution has set up a committee to investigate cases relating to deaths, torture and inhuman treatment. The panel will be under the direct authority of Public Prosecutor Dr Ali bin Fadhl Al Buainain.
The Interior Minister had earlier ordered the cases to be referred to the Public Prosecution.
'The Public Prosecution is an independent and impartial judicial authority dedicated to revealing the truth and scrutinising complaints, taking into account the provisions of the law,' Mr Al Buainain said.
He said the cases would be investigated objectively and transparently and any person found guilty will be referred to the court.
CCTV cameras will be installed to ensure audiovisual recording of detainees' interrogations.
The moves are in line with the ministry's resolve to carry out the recommendations cited in the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry report.-TradeArabia News Service
More Government & Laws Stories
- Criminals 'are going hi-tech'
- 'Gulf nations ready to face challenges'
- Bahrain launches eGov Apps Store
- Deal dead if US passes new sanctions, warns Iran
- Bahrain calls to fast-track GCC union
- Bahrain to join GCC disaster aid body
- Bahrain to beef up security for National Day
- Bahrain unearths plot to bomb US Navy base
- Iran must stop meddling in GCC affairs, says Saudi
- Iran proposes new regional bloc