Egypt finance minister quits after protest deaths
Cairo, October 11, 2011
Egypt's Finance Minister Hazem el-Beblawi has quit after less than three months in the post over the government's handling of a protest by Coptic Christians on Sunday night, an aide to Beblawi said on Tuesday.
The protest ended with clashes between the army and demonstrators that killed 25 people, making it the deadliest outbreak of violence since the ousting of Mubarak in February, and sparked anger among Copts and rights activists.
Beblawi was appointed in July by the ruling military council which took power after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak earlier this year. His resignation was confirmed by state news agency Mena.
Beblawi resigned "in protest at the government's handling of the events at Maspero", the aide said, referring to the area of Cairo where the clashes took place.
"Despite the fact that there might not be direct responsibility on the government's part, responsibility lies, ultimately, on its shoulders," state news agency Mena quoted Beblawi as saying.
Beblawi has been negotiating with Gulf states for financial assistance to support a state budget that has ballooned as a result of Egypt's political turmoil.
The army replaced Beblawi's predecessor Samir Radwan after he secured a loan from the International Monetary Fund only to be forced to turn it down, partly because the ruling generals did not want to build up debts.
Beblawi said last week that Egypt was now reconsidering the IMF funding and was still in talks with Arab states for funds of close to $7 billion.
"Investors are looking for greater stability in public finances and for clarity on financial support from outside Egypt," said EFG-Hermes strategist Simon Kitchen. "In that context, the second resignation of a finance minister in four months is not encouraging." - Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track