Yemen army recaptures city from militants
Sanaa, September 10, 2011
Yemen's army has recaptured a southern provincial capital held by Islamist militants since May, the state news agency said on Saturday, citing the provincial governor and military officials.
The army launched an offensive two months ago against the militants controlling the coastal city of Zinjibar, which lies east of a strategic shipping strait through which some 3 million barrels of oil pass daily.
Militants with suspected links to al Qaeda have seized swathes of territory in the southern province of Abyan, taking advantage of turmoil in a country convulsed for months by protests against President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 33-year rule.
Just last week, militants took another town in Abyan despite the army campaign backed by air strikes and heavy weapons.
A military official said earlier on Saturday the army had broken a four-month siege of a brigade based near Zinjibar by fighters said to be from al Qaeda's Yemen-based wing.
He said many militants had fled towards Jaar, another town they control in Abyan, adding that three were killed in clashes in and around Zinjibar and four soldiers were wounded.
The 25th brigade was surrounded in May, when the militants took over Zinjibar, a few km from its barracks.
'We are pursuing limited pockets of militants, but the real battle will be to cleanse the town of Jaar,' said General Mohammad al-Somali.
President Saleh, recovering in neighbouring Saudi Arabia from a June assassination attempt, congratulated the army on its what he called its victory against the militants.
The United States and Saudi Arabia fear lawlessness and political chaos in Yemen will give al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula more room to launch attacks in the region and beyond.
Saleh's opponents accuse him of exaggerating the threat of al Qaeda and even encouraging militancy to scare Washington and Riyadh into backing him.-Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Saudi sets up panel on labour disputes
- Sand-dredging bill is hit by funding row
- Saudi rejects Maliki's charges on funding militants
- Independent foreign policy non-negotiable: Qatar
- Bahrain to crack down on bogus investments
- Bahrain urged to set up national plan to fight cyber crime
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- New law on family violence on the way in Bahrain
- Four blast suspects are remanded in Bahrain
- Bahrain to step up war on terror
- Norton Rose Fulbright moves London head to Dubai
- DSG ‘ready to implement Smart Dubai Strategy’
- Iraqi women protest new draft law
- Bahrain police 'face more danger in line of duty'
- Saudi names Brotherhood as terrorist group
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest