Signs of movement seen in Mideast process
Ramallah, December 30, 2009
Hints of possible movement in the deadlocked Middle East process have emerged in talks between the leaders of Egypt and Israel, a senior Palestinian official said on Wednesday, without giving details.
Palestinian media in the Israeli-occupied West Bank fronted remarks by Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "is moving forward".
Netanyahu met Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Tuesday.
"I cannot speak about details of Netanyahu's position. But the Israeli prime minister spoke during the talks about positions that go beyond, in our estimate, what we have heard from the Israeli side in a long time," Aboul Gheit said.
"I cannot say that a settlement is closer. I cannot say whether Netanyahu has come to Egypt to change his positions ... but he is moving forward ..."
In the West Bank, an aide to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told Reuters there would be movement in the near future.
"The region will see important political activity in the next two weeks," said Nabil Abu Rdainah. "The Israeli position is not yet clear enough to the point of re-starting negotiations."
Talks between Israel and the Palestinians have been frozen for the past 12 months. Abbas refuses to relaunch them until Netanyahu stops all West Bank settlement building and makes clear his terms of reference for resuming the negotiations.
The East Jerusalem Arabic daily Al Quds said Netanyahu had "requested that the elements of his ideas not be discussed" for the time being.
The US, whose envoy George Mitchell has been shuttling between the two sides with no concrete signs of progress for the past year, was still working on ways of reviving direct dialogue, it said.
Abbas was due to return to his government capital, Ramallah, on Thursday and deliver a speech marking the 45th anniversary of the foundation of his Fatah movement.
He was due to embark on a tour of Arab capitals including Cairo immediately afterwards.
On his return to Jerusalem on Wednesday, Netanyahu told members of his Likud party "the time has come to renew the peace process" -- a statement he has made repeatedly in recent weeks in appeals to Abbas to return to the negotiating table.
Abbas so far refuses, saying the partial, 10-month restrictions on Jewish settlement construction in the West Bank which Netanyahu ordered on November 25 do not meet the bottom-line demand of the Palestinian side. – Reuters
More Government & Laws Stories
- Qatar outraged over terror claims
- Bahrain PM condemns exploitation of children
- Qatar will not alter foreign policy: source
- Bahrain accuses Iran of fomenting trouble
- 'Put security before rights' in Bahrain: publisher
- 'Hizbollah trained Daih blast suspect'
- Key terror blast suspects named in Bahrain
- $2.6m Royal Fund for martyrs set up
- Bahrain to draw up new anti-terror laws
- GCC ROW: Qatar voices surprise over envoys pull out
- GCC tobacco tax rise ‘will fuel illicit trade’
- Saudi, UAE, Bahrain withdraw envoys from Qatar
- Bahrain explosion draws global condemnation
- GDN photographer hurt in blast is discharged
- Iran playing increasing role in Bahrain unrest
- Bahrain launches 6-point plan to fight terror
- Sisi gives sign he will run for president
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Qatari doctor gets 7 years jail in UAE
- Family violence law articles approved in Bahrain
- Credit card thief jailed in Bahrain
- GDN photographer hurt in Bahrain explosion
- Bahrain King orders crackdown on terrorists
- Bahrain's 4-year development plan on track
- Bahrain authorities warn of rogue labour camps
- Experts draw 'startling comparisons' in explosives
- Bahrain reforms 'far exceed recommendations'
- Kuwaiti Emir undergoes minor surgery
- Special court to deal with travel bans backed