Wataniya posts slight drop in Q3 profit
Kuwait, October 24, 2013
Wataniya, Kuwait's No 2 telecom operator, reported a slight drop in third-quarter profit on Thursday, missing analysts' estimates as the company's underperformance continued.
The firm, a subsidiary of Qatar's Ooredoo, had reported declining profits in six of the preceding seven quarters and in March it appointed Abdulaziz Fakhroo as chief executive, its third CEO in less than a year.
Wataniya made a net profit of 15.34 million dinars ($54.43 million)in the three months to Sept 30, down from 15.53 million dinars in the year-earlier period, according to a statement to the Kuwaiti bourse.
Analysts polled by Reuters on average forecast Wataniya would make a quarterly profit of 24 million dinars.
Wataniya made a net profit of 57.7 million dinars in the first nine months of 2013, down from 62.9 million for the same period a year earlier.
The company did not state its revenue for the quarter or the nine-month period.
In Kuwait, Wataniya competes with Zain and Viva, an affiliate of Saudi Telecom Co, while it also has operations in Algeria, Tunisia, the Maldives, Saudi Arabia and the Palestinian Territories.
In October 2012, Ooredoo paid $1.8 billion to raise its stake in Wataniya to 92.1 percent from 52.5 percent. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution