DotShabaka launches Arabic internet domain
Kuwait, October 24, 2013
A new corner of the Internet completely dedicated to the Arabic language was launched today (October 24), joining the likes of .com, .net and .org online.
DotShabaka Registry, the Dubai-based company behind .shabaka (translates to .web in English), is inviting expressions of interest from major brands and high profile individuals to become launch partners with the world’s first cross-border Arabic top-level domain, said a statement.
Potential partners are encouraged to register their interest with dotShabaka Registry at dotshabaka.com. Launch partners and ambassadors will be given priority during the launch phase and become pioneers of the cause, while general public registrations are expected to occur in the next two months, it said.
Yasmin Omer, general manager, said: “Today marks a historic moment for the global online Arabic-speaking community. We have waited 28 years since the introduction of .com for a cross-border Arabic top-level domain. This will enable an Internet experience completely in our native language.”
“We are now looking for the biggest brands and innovators within the global Arabic community to partner with us and become anambassador and leader of the Arabic Internet not just in the region but across the globe. Owning a domain name is investing into an Arabic Internet and we would expect to see the proudest Arabic brands take the first step, those that really want to make a difference,” added Omer.
The domain was added to the Internet as part of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers’ (ICANN) new top-level domain programme.
ARI Registry Services, a leading Internet infrastructure providers, is dotShabaka Registry’s technology partner. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m