Nawras Q3 profit rises 11.1pc
Dubai, October 23, 2013
Omani telecom operator Nawras posted an 11.1 per cent rise in third-quarter profit on Wednesday as its customer base and revenue increased, marking a turnaround after the firm posted falling profits in the previous six quarters.
The firm, majority-owned by Qatar's Ooredoo, made a net profit of 8 million rials ($20.8 million) in the three months to September 30, up from 7.2 million rials in the year-earlier period.
Two analysts polled by Reuters forecast Nawras, which ended Oman Telecommunication Co's (Omantel) monopoly in 2005, would make a quarterly profit of between 7.8 and 8 million rials.
Third-quarter revenue was 50.8 million rials, Nawras said in a statement. This compares with 46.9 million rials a year ago.
The company's customer base rose 10.9 per cent to 2.36 million.
Total revenues for the first nine months of this year increased by 5 per cent and amounted to RO149.2 million compared to the same period last year.
Total net profit was RO23.1 million compared to RO26.7 million last year, which was affected by higher depreciation due to the investment in network modernisation.
Oman is the only Gulf country to have launched mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) services. Omantel hosts MVNOs Friendi and Renna, which have helped it win back customers from Nawras. - Reuters and TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit