Zain's Lebanon contract to be rolled over again
Beirut, September 25, 2013
Zain expects its contract to run Lebanon's main mobile operator to be rolled over until Lebanon forms a new government which can authorise tenders for new contracts, the Kuwaiti firm's chief executive told Reuters.
Lebanon's prime minister designate Tammam Salam has been trying to form a government for nearly six months, but political divisions have prevented formation of a cabinet and there is no sign of a breakthrough.
The stalemate has delayed plans to revamp the largely state-held telecom sector.
"There's an interim government - nobody wants to make a decision on a long-term contract," Scott Gegenheimer, Zain chief executive told Reuters. "I think it will keep getting rolled over until you get a final government in place."
Government-owned Ogero Telecom maintains the fixed network in Lebanon and the state owns the two mobile operators, Touch and Alfa, which Zain and Egypt's OTMT manage respectively.
Zain took control of Touch in 2004 and OTMT of Alfa in 2009, and their management contracts have repeatedly been renewed since then, usually on an annual basis.
Both were due to expire on January 31, but were extended to June 30 to allow more time for a tender for new 3-5 year contracts, which would have been open to other operators.
Bidding had been due to open in mid-April, but was halted, with the management contracts instead renewed until September 30.
Zain and OTMT have yet to hear if their contracts will be rolled over again, less than a week before they expire.
Touch and Alfa's combined revenue for 2011 was $1.6 billion, of which $1.4 billion went to the government, Business Monitor International estimated, making telecoms the second-largest contributor to state coffers after taxes on goods and services.
Touch is the market leader, with a 53 percent share of Lebanon's mobile phone subscribers.
"What will happen at the end of the month we've still not discussed with the government," Marwan Hayek, Alfa Telecom chairman and chief executive told Reuters.
Hayek said he had no idea if an extension would be for a further three months. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Bahrain eGA to offer 26 new Apps in 2014
- Etisalat unveils high-data mobile bundles
- Bahrain to be ready for 5G network by 2017
- Eset wins top reseller award
- Etisalat wins performance award at CommsMEA
- Mideast IT spending to top $32bn in 2014
- MiX Telematics unveils fleet management solutions
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president