Thuraya wins Philippines maritime contract
Dubai, September 10, 2013
Thuraya Telecommunications Company, a UAE-based mobile satellite services (MSS) operator, has been selected by Philippines-based Smart Communications for the launch of its new crew calling service.
The Marino PhonePal multi-year deal will see Smart partner with Thuraya on network services and hardware for its maritime voice service, which connects thousands of Filipino seafarers to their loved ones.
It is an expansion of the company’s current crew calling service, from an existing Asia Pacific footprint now to include major sea lanes in Australia, New Zealand, Indian Ocean, Middle East, Africa and Europe.
As per the deal, Smart will offer low-cost prepaid calls to seafarers while at sea using Thuraya’s SF2500 voice terminals.
Bilal El Hamoui, vice president of distribution at Thuraya, said: “Smart’s background in maritime and Thuraya’s portfolio of MSS products, solutions and network coverage across Europe, the Middle East and Asia are extremely complementary.” - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Eset wins top reseller award
- Etisalat wins performance award at CommsMEA
- Mideast IT spending to top $32bn in 2014
- MiX Telematics unveils fleet management solutions
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president
- Survey to measure UAE mobile radiation levels
- Zain Bahrain on track to launch new network
- Microsoft assures foreign customers on spying