New iPhone launch likely on Sept 10
San Francisco, September 4, 2013
Apple Inc on Tuesday sent official invitations to a September 10 event at which it is expected to unveil the latest version of the iPhone, possibly in colours other than its trademark black and white.
"This should brighten everyone's day," the typically cryptic invitation read, under a graphic depicting pastel-coloured circles surrounding a stark white Apple logo.
The company, which is making a focused effort to win over consumers in Asia where rivals Samsung Electronics and other Android manufacturers dominate, said in the invitation it will host a breakfast and presentation at its Cupertino, California headquarters.
The company did not specify as to what the presentation will be about.
But supply chain sources told Reuters in June that Apple is expected to launch two new models this year - widely referred to as the iPhone 5S - with new fingerprint technology as well as a cheaper version in plastic casing.
Apple plans to dress up the phone in a range of five or six colours to differentiate it from the more expensive model that has traditionally come only in black and white, according to the sources.
Analysts say the company needs a cheaper phone to drive faster growth in markets like China and India, and to counter Samsung's edge in having a wide range of devices at varying prices.
Growth in Asian markets is seen as key for smartphone makers. China's smartphone market, for example, is set to grow 48 percent this year, outpacing the global increase of 31 percent, according to industry forecasts. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas