Gitex to focus on innovation
Dubai, August 29, 2013
Gitex Technology Week 2013, to be held in Dubai during October, will showcase trend-setting new features and innovation.
The 33rd edition of the event, running under the theme ‘Lets Create, Disrupt and Re-imagine Together,’ will run until October 24 at the Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC) in partnership with Dubai Internet City (DIC).
The IT spend in the Middle East will hit $192.9 billion in 2013, up 5.5 per cent from last year, said Gartner in a recent forecast.
About 95 per cent of exhibitors from last year are planning to return this year, and a host of newcomers from across the world already have signed up, said Trixee Loh, senior vice president at DWTC.
“This year, we have done everything we can to give Gitex Technology Week a new edge and relevance. Among other things, we’re ramping up our international reach, introducing incisive, trend-dissecting features like the Big Data Conference, as well as proactively unearthing and celebrating new talent through a series of competitions,” said Loh.
“We’re hosting new events of global stature like InfoComm MEA and the GSMA Mobile 360 series. The buzz surrounding Gitex Technology Week 2013 has already begun, and I am confident that all the pieces are in place for this year’s theme of creation, disruption and re-imagination.”
The week is structured into three comprehensively defined segments – Gitex World, which encompasses 12 dedicated sector-based industry platforms; Gitex Edge features a range of new competitions, networking and knowledge-sharing forums; and Gitex Trends addresses some of the most pressing ICT issues.
The Big Data Conference, taking place on October 22, has been designed to help CIOs cope with the data deluge, arm their organisations with the ability to mine it for strategic advantage and, crucially, convert what is ostensibly a big challenge into a big business opportunity.
Other features include the free to attend exposure-enhancing and knowledge-sharing platform Smart Sessions; a dedicated theatre which will provide a showcase for anyone with innovative solutions and insight; panel debates, discussions and interactive presentations; gsmExchange TradeZone, an online trading platform for the mobile phone distribution industry; and the GSMA Mobile 360 Series, a new regional conference series for executives in the mobile industry.
The week will also host the Cloud Awards to recognise cloud computing’s contribution to the business community, the Gitex Hot Stuff Awards set to be the largest consumer electronics gadget event in the region and Google’s Student Lab competition.
The new Content Hub will provide live newsfeeds, social media alerts, interviews, breaking news and industry updates under one platform and is sponsored by Lincoln. As part of its commitment to the event, Lincoln will be organising a raffle where the lucky winner can drive away in a brand new car. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services