Bahrain TRA fines Viva on non-compliance
Manama, August 6, 2013
Bahrain’s Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRA) has issued an order against Viva on its non-compliance with various conditions contained in its frequency licence, its individual mobile telecom licence and its national fixed services licence.
Under Article 35 of the Telecommunications Law, Viva’s non-compliance refers to the unauthorised upgrade of 165 fixed point-to-point microwave links, thereby exceeding the bandwidth limitations set out in the frequency licence.
A fine has been imposed by TRA for the breach which includes a penalty for the period of unauthorised use of spectrum.
In addition VIVA has been ordered to pay the outstanding spectrum licence fees due in respect of the upgraded links. TRA has ordered VIVA to downgrade all unauthorised links, within 90 days from the date of the order.
Under Article 35 of the Telecommunications Law, TRA has the power to issue fines and also take enforcement action requiring licensed operators to comply with the various provisions of the Telecommunications Law, or any condition of a licence granted to operators by TRA. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Bahrain eGA to offer 26 new Apps in 2014
- Etisalat unveils high-data mobile bundles
- Bahrain to be ready for 5G network by 2017
- Eset wins top reseller award
- Etisalat wins performance award at CommsMEA
- Mideast IT spending to top $32bn in 2014
- MiX Telematics unveils fleet management solutions
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president