Zain, Huawei deal for new network
Kuwait, July 31, 2013
Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, and Zain, a leading telecom company in the Middle East, have announced plans to build a unified all-IP mobile bearer network in Kuwait.
On the bearer network, the backbone network adopts the 100G IP and OTN synergy technology, which makes Zain the first operator to deploy a 100G E2E network that adopts IP and OTN synergy in the Middle East, a statement said.
“Zain Kuwait became the first operator to provide long term evolution (LTE) services in Kuwait at the end of last year. Zain's network comprises GSM, UMTS, and LTE mobile networks. With the rapid development of mobile broadband services, Zain wants to build a unified all-IP bearer network that covers a full range of services and provides ultra-bandwidth and efficient use of network resources,” it said.
Huawei provided Zain with the leading all-IP bearer network solution, including a comprehensive series of routers. Besides providing bearer for mobile services, the solution can effectively support Zain's business development in the future, support the next generation LTE-A service, and provide bearer for fixed-network services and bandwidth lease services. This lays a solid foundation for Zain to provide full range of services.
The backbone network adopts the industry-leading 100G E2E IP and OTN synergy solution. With the deployment of high-end routers and 100G wavelength division equipment and effective traffic synergy between IP and OTN (wavelength division) sides, the solution provides huge bandwidth and significantly improves bearer efficiency of the backbone network. Furthermore, the network protection, fault location, rapid synergy deployment, and simple operation and maintenance provided by the synergy solution greatly reduce the cost of network operation and maintenance, the statement said.
Hani El-Kukhun, chief operation officer at Zain Kuwait, said: "As our LTE subscribers grow in our network and overall data multiplies in demand, we realise the growing pressure this puts on our backhaul. Our radio capabilities need to be able to cater for these growing demands which have been carefully planned, but now it is time to unify our backhaul to be able to provide end to end quality of service and a seamless end user experience. Our unified transmission network that we have selected from Huawei gives us the capabilities to cater for today and the future growing demands of data in our backhaul network. The total unified IP end to end network will be one of the most advanced in the region."
"The development trend of the bearer network is toward IP and optical networks, and Huawei has made long-term strategic investments in IP and optical networks. Huawei provides unified E2E bearer network solutions to help customers meet back-hauling requirements in the ultra-wideband era", said Zha Jun, the president of Huawei Network Product Line. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum