Kuwait Zain Q2 net profit falls 14pc
Kuwait, July 28, 2013
Kuwaiti telecom operator Zain reported a 14 percent fall in its second-quarter net profit on Sunday to 61 million dinars ($214 million), mainly because of a currency loss in Sudan, according to Reuters calculations based on its first-half earnings statement.
Zain said it made a first-half net profit of 113 million dinars. The company had reported a first-quarter profit of 52 million dinars.
Consolidated revenues totalled 612 million dinars in the first half.
Zain said it added 3 million new customers over the past 12 months, raising its customer base to 44.4 million. Customers increased 11 percent in Kuwait to 2.4 million, by 12 percent in Saudi Arabia to 8.3 million, and by 8 percent in Iraq to 13.9 million.
Currency movements, mainly depreciation of Sudan's currency, cost Zain $347 million in revenues and $80 million in net profit during the first half, it said.
However, a new telecommunications law removing corporate income tax for three years was introduced in Sudan last month, which will help Zain's financial position in the country, it added.
Also last month, Saudi Arabia's government agreed to postpone payment of Zain's obligations to it for seven years. The deferred payments are estimated to add up to $213 million per year, the company said. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit