Etisalat in talks with Vivendi for Maroc Tel stake
Dubai, July 23, 2013
Etisalat, the Gulf's biggest telecommunications operator, has entered exclusive talks with Vivendi to buy the French firm's 53 percent stake in Maroc Telecom for 4.2 billion euros ($5.54 billion), it said on Tuesday.
The United Arab Emirates firm, which operates in about 15 countries across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, said the exclusive talks with Vivendi would last until Sept. 25 and that if an agreement were reached, it would have to make an offer to minority shareholders who hold 17 percent of Maroc Telecom.
A potential deal with Vivendi would be Etisalat's largest acquisition to date.
Etisalat reported a net profit of 1.98 billion dirhams ($539 million) for the second quarter of 2013, up 6 percent from the prior-year period, it said in a separate statement on the Abu Dhabi bourse.
This was slightly more than forecast by analysts at SICO Bahrain, which had estimated quarterly profit of 1.92 billion dirhams.
Maroc Telecom, in which Vivendi first bought a stake in 2001, offers fixed-line, mobile and Internet services, and is one of the main telecom operators in Africa with units in Burkina Faso, Gabon, Mali and Mauritania. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution