Virgin Mobile consortium to list shares in Oman
Dubai, July 8, 2013
A consortium that includes Virgin Mobile Middle East & Africa (VMMEA) will list its shares on the Oman bourse within five years as a condition of winning a licence to provide telecom services in the Gulf Arab state.
Connect Arabia International (CAI) was awarded a 15-year licence that will require the company to sell 40 per cent of its shares through an initial public offering on Muscat's bourse, the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority said in an email.
The licence will cost 20,000 rials ($51,900), the regulator added.
In the Gulf, telecoms licences are sometimes awarded for minimal fees to encourage buyers to invest in developing their services.
VMMEA chief executive Mikkel Vinter said his company was part of a consortium that owns CAI, but he declined to reveal the size of its holding.
VMMEA, part-owned by British entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Group, is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). These typically lease capacity from established operators and pay them a percentage of their revenue as well as fees.
Oman is the only Gulf country where MVNOs have started operations. These compete with the sultanate's two conventional telecom operators, Omantel and Nawras, a unit of Ooredoo. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network