Nawras begins 2nd stage of Internet upgrade
Muscat, June 24, 2013
Nawras, an Ooredoo company and a top telecom operator in Oman, is launching phase two of its countrywide network turbocharging programme, enabling superfast broadband speeds as well as wider network coverage.
In September, the programme will continue extending along the Batinah cost from Al Suwaiq towards Shinas as Nawras continues to future proof its network from end to end. During the same period, customers located in Fahud will also start to benefit from the second stage of turbocharging.
All Nawras sites within the city of Salalah are currently being upgraded as capacity is doubled along with the speed of the Nawras 3G+ network.
In addition, superfast 4G technology is being deployed within the city of Salalah to support residents and visitors attending the annual Salalah Tourism Festival in August. A comprehensive Turbocharging programme for the entire Dhofar Governorate is an important part of the planned network activities to be completed by the end of next year.
“We have already delivered a huge difference in the broadband internet experience of our customers living and working in the area covered by the first phase of Network Turbocharging,” explained Nawras chief executive Ross Cormack.
“Now we are ready to delight many more customers as we begin the second stage. With faster speeds and greater capacity, Nawras is making it easier and more enjoyable to be online with a prepaid or postpaid broadband internet plan.”
Nawras has already invested around RO60 million ($155 million) in the first phase of Network Turbocharging. This included upgrading the core network, building many new base stations and adding 3G+ technology to every existing 2G site from Al Bustan to beyond Al Musannah. A second data carrier was added to more than double capacity and speeds.
In a recent significant move, the operator successfully activated a third 3G+ data carrier on 900 MHz, giving a greatly improved broadband internet experience with enhanced indoor coverage to customers in the first phase of the network turbocharging programme.
As one of only 70 operators out of approximately 800 worldwide to launch a data carrier on U900, as well as being the first to do so in the Sultanate, Nawras significantly improved its indoor network coverage for customers within the turbocharged area. This will be extended as phase two begins. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m