Nawras launches third 3G+ data carrier
Muscat, May 27, 2013
Nawras, an Ooredoo company and a leading telecom operator in Oman, has activated its third 3G+ data carrier in the Sultanate, offering customers greater indoor coverage for faster broadband data download speeds.
This latest development on the 900 MHz frequency band was activated in the turbocharged areas from Al Bustan to Barka, a statement said.
The third 3G+ carrier increases capacity and speed of mobile broadband by sending more data across a much wider spectrum, in a shorter time. Nawras is providing a state-of-the-art broadband data experience for customers as the next stage of its exciting Network Turbocharging programme begins.
Ross Cormack, Nawras chief executive officer, said, “This is another big step forward in our on-going Network Turbocharging programme which is already giving customers a vastly improved broadband internet service.
“The new data carrier will now enable our signals to reach further inside buildings from Al Bustan to Barka. This provides a noticeable difference for all customers using 3G+ broadband services in this turbocharged area. We are extremely grateful to the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority for making this development possible.”
Wolfgang Wemhoff, Nawras chief technology officer, added, “We are very happy that we successfully introduced this new technology in the Sultanate for the first time, after extensive testing. The new data carrier has expanded indoor coverage capacity in terms of quality and signal strength.”
“With any one of our value packed data plans, customers can surf, chat, stream videos, open YouTube – whatever they want to do online – and do it all so much faster now. Our quality checks confirm that mobile broadband internet is providing a first-rate experience for our customers who are living and working in the turbocharged areas.
“We can see that people are enjoying the faster speeds and much better quality of service because we are already recording greater broadband usage in all of the turbocharged areas.”
Nawras is now beginning the second stage of its far-reaching Network Turbocharging programme that will see the replacement of every single base station in the country with the latest technology including the addition of 3G+ to every site, a statement said.
By the end of 2014 the company plans to deliver faster 3G+ to more than 97 per cent of the population. At the same time, superfast 4G broadband is being rolled out. Currently Nawras offers contiguous 4G coverage of greater Muscat. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum