Morocco plans 4G mobile licence tenders
Rabat, May 22, 2013
Morocco plans to launch tenders for 4G mobile phone licences by the end of the year, the Telecommunications Regulatory National Agency (ANRT) said in a statement carried by state news agency MAP.
Morocco wants to be one of the first African countries to get the fourth generation (4G) telecom services, the statement said.
"We will launch the tenders to award 4G licences by the end of the year, and the opening of the service is expected in 2014," Azdine El Mountassir Billah, the head of ANRT said, quoted by MAP. "It is not a luxury, it is a must," he added.
The Morocco's telecom watchdog had originally planned to sell at least one 4G license in the fourth quarter of the last year, but El Mountassir Billah has not given any reasons for the delay.
Morocco's telecommunications market is dominated by Vivendi's Maroc Telecom, which is being sold, France Telecom affiliate Medi Telecom, and Inwi, owned by a holding company controlled by the Moroccan monarchy and Kuwait's Zain.
Mobile phone penetration hovers around 115 per cent of Morocco's 34 million population, and the country had 4 million Internet subscribers by the end of March 2013, up 24.35 per cent from the previous year, the statement said. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m