UAE ranked global leader in FTTH network
Dubai, May 4, 2013
UAE-based Etisalat’s Dh19 billion ($5.17 billion) investment in the fiber to the home (FTTH) network has made the Emirates a global leader in connecting homes in the country, according to a recent industry report.
UAE has taken the lead with a penetration rate of 72 per cent, according to the annual study conducted by Panorama Research on the Global FTTH market for the FTTH global council. The ranking covers all countries with at least 200, 000 households where the penetration of FTTH has reached 1 per cent of total number of homes.
This year, 36 countries were members of the global ranking with UAE taking the lead at a bigger margin to South Korea, the nearest competitor at 57 per cent of homes subscribing to FTTH.
The other countries close to this penetration were Japan, Russia, US and South France. A significant achievement for Etisalat is that it took the prime role in financing and executing the FTTH project, a statement from the company said.
In other countries globally, investment is carried out by the government and then rented out to be used by operators. In UAE, the government played a major role in providing logistics to carry out the project successfully.
Saleh Al Abdooli, CEO, Etisalat, said: “This accomplishment would not have been possible without the support and guidance of Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice president and Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai and the members of the supreme council.”
“Keeping in line with this vision, Etisalat has always strived to launch and implement new technologies. We made investments worth Dh19 billion in the FTTH network coupled with the efforts of our qualified team due to our long term strategy for future growth. In fact, the penetration rate in the country has almost touched 80 per cent putting UAE much ahead of other global competitors.”
“This has put UAE on a global map competing with countries with world class networks and helps us identify potential opportunities for our growth strategy. Such projects connect building and homes on the fiber network and also enhance the development of the country in telecom, ICT as well as other business areas.”
Christine Beylouni, director general, fibre to the home council Mena, said: “The council is proud that one of the countries from the region is leading in this segment. Etisalat has played a major role in contributing towards this success due to its superior knowledge and services in this segment.”
Etisalat is in a position to showcase its accomplishments to a global audience due to its successful installations at home via triple play platformOne of the major achievements for the country was the connection of Abu Dhabi, which became the first capital in the world with FTTH connectivity across the network. The FTTH project completed by Etisalat connected over 1.3 million homes in the country, the statement said.
“They have case studies which are benchmarks of success for other operators in the region. UAE has been in the top position in terms of FTTH installations since couple of years and therefore with the success of operators like Etisalat, it was evident that the country would take the leading place in the region,” Beylouni concluded. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution