VoIP service 'only through Etisalat, du'
Dubai, April 9, 2013
The UAE Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) has stated that its telecommunications law and VoIP regulatory policy allows only the licencees - Etisalat and du - to provide telecommunications services in the UAE including VOIP services.
In a strongly-worded statement the TRA reiterated that the policy has not been amended yet and that VoIP services through Skype were still unauthorized.
On the unblocking of Skype's website in the UAE, TRA said, "This action does not change the position of the regulatory authority or amend the policy. As this service is considered a regulated activity, it must be provided by a licensee," said the UAE telecoms regulator.
"Should the service be provided through a partnership with a third party, both licencees must seek approval after fulfilling the regulatory and technical requirements of the TRA, which has not happened in the case of Skype," it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Survey to measure UAE mobile radiation levels
- Zain Bahrain on track to launch new network
- Microsoft assures foreign customers on spying
- Batelco wins ‘telecom deal’ award
- Samena summit focus on telecom issues
- US firm offers IT security software for SMBs
- US firm supplies biometric software to Saudi
- Du to support SMEs in Ajman
- Red Hat to launch new PaaS
- Egypt to offer unified telecoms licence soon