Bahrain plans $118m ICT spend
Manama, April 9, 2013
Bahrain has allocated BD45 million ($118.6 million) to fund ongoing information communication technology (ICT) projects for ministries and government organisations, said a top official.
e-Government Authority (eGA) chief executive Mohammed Al Qaed revealed the figure after opening the sixth Bahrain International e-Government Forum and Exhibition, according to a report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
More than 800 delegates from around the world are attending the three-day event, taking place at the Ritz-Carlton Bahrain Hotel and Spa.
Al Qaed also announced the launch of an e-services search engine which he said would be a "major addition" to eGA services.
"Such a search engine would normally cost around $1 million (BD377,000) to build and set up and take six months but we have done it in-house in two months," he said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Supreme Committee for Information and Communication Technology chairman Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa said Bahrain's expertise in e-Government has been recognised around the world.
"We have had this forum for the sixth year in a row and have attracted the maximum number of 800 delegates this year," he said.
"This shows the popularity of the event, which is seen as a chance by experts in the field to gain from the experience of participants."
Shaikh Mohammed also inaugurated the Bahrain IT Expo and honoured recipients of the e-Government Excellence Awards.
Information technology expert from the US Robert Tercek, who is one of the creators of interactive entertainment content in the area of television, telecommunications and software, spoke at the event.
It has been organised by the eGA in collaboration with Bahrain Internet Society and Project Management Institute - Arabian Gulf Chapter. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit