Batelco-Reliance deal likely in May: Report
Mumbai, April 8, 2013
India's Reliance Communications is likely to seal a deal to sell an 80 per cent stake in its subsidiary Reliance Globalcom to a consortium led by Bahrain Telecommunications Company (Batelco)
by May end, said a report.
The deal will be worth around Rs 6,000 crores ($1.093 billion), said the Times of India report.
Reliance Globalcom is a global communications service provider.
However, contacted by TradeArabia, a Batelco spokesperson said: “As we have informed the press in the past, there can be no certainty that any interest we expressed to Reliance Group will lead to a transaction. A further announcement will be made in due course if appropriate."
Reliance Group officials also declined comment, said the Times report.
The report said Reliance Communications will retain a 20 per cent share in the company for the first year, following which it has the option to sell that portion of the equity as well. Following the deal, the Reliance Group would remain in the company only as an investor.
It quoted informed sources as saying that the management control of Reliance Globalcom would move to the Bahrain-based company after the deal. Private equity firms are part of the consortium led by Batelco, it said. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit