Kuwait telco Viva turns profitable
Kuwait, March 21, 2013
A rapidly increasing customer base helped mobile operator Viva Kuwait make an annual profit for the first time in 2012, four years after the Saudi Telecom Co (STC) affiliate launched services.
Unlisted Viva on Thursday reported a net profit of 3.9 million dinars ($13.69 million) for last year. This compares with a net loss of 14.4 million dinars in 2011, according to a statement on its website.
The operator, which competes with Zain and Ooredoo (Qatar Telecom) subsidiary Wataniya, said its customer base rose by 60 percent to 1.6 million last year, enabling it to boost its market share to 29 percent from 20 percent.
Kuwait has no telecom regulator and market share figures are disputed by the rival operators - former monopoly Zain puts its share at 42 percent, with Viva and Wataniya on 21 and 37 percent, respectively.
Viva said its 2012 cash flow was 32.2 million dinars, up from 72,000 dinars a year earlier. It did not publish its annual revenue.
STC owns 26 percent of Viva, which has yet to list on the Kuwait bourse despite completing an initial public offering in September 2008.
Viva has refused to comment when asked by Reuters in the past to explain the delay. The company remained reticent in its earnings release, stating only that it had filed a listing request with the stock market regulator in February 2012 and was awaiting a response. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit