Bahrain TRA sued in 4G dispute
Manama, March 21, 2013
Legal action is being taken against Bahrain's telecom watchdog for allegedly barring Menatelecom from bidding to offer 4G mobile phone services, a report said.
The company yesterday filed a case against the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) at the Urgent Matters Court, according to the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
The Cabinet last month approved plans to introduce 4G technology as part of efforts to upgrade Bahrain's broadband infrastructure.
But Menatelecom says despite meeting all the necessary requirements they have been excluded from the auction.
"Menatelecom has filed a case against the decision taken by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, to not include it amongst the three telecommunication services, Batelco, VIVA and Zain, in the auction of the fourth generation mobile telephone frequencies," said court documents.
The case will be reviewed today ahead of the deadline for the auction, which reportedly ends at 4pm. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- CSPs to face big revenue challenges
- Bahrain set to bolster e-content
- Batelco wins eContent award
- Trend Micro in cybersecurity deal
- Etisalat may revive talks to sell Sudanese unit
- Bahrain TRA to boost customer contact
- Batelco yet to receive Seychelles nod for CWS deal
- Zain, Ericsson in billing partnership deal
- Inmarsat names Global Xpress VAR
- Tawasul Telecom sponsors WIBC