Nawras alerts against SMS, phone scams
Muscat, March 12, 2013
Nawras, an Ooredoo company and a leading telecom operator in Oman, has cautioned its customers on calls or messages that promise large sums of money or other gifts in exchange for personal information, cash or recharge card numbers.
Customers in any doubt about a communication they have received are invited to call the Customer Contact Centre or visit any of the 28 Nawras stores across the Sultanate for assistance.
Genuine promotions or offers from Nawras are communicated on the company website at nawras.om and winners are invited to collect their prizes directly from a Nawras store or from the Nawras Campus, a company statement said.
Said Safrar, Nawras chief customer experience officer, said, “We care for our customers; we want them to know that we would never request for personal or financial information as part of any promotion.”
“Although such scams are beyond our control, as your caring communications provider, we hope this information will help you to avoid becoming a victim of any mobile phone fraud. We are dedicated to providing a pleasingly different customer experience and we want to ensure our customers are able to enjoy this and do not fall prey to fraudulent calls or messaging.
“Our advice to any customer who receives a scam call or SMS is to contact the Public Prosecution and register a complaint. Nawras does not give out cash prizes unless they are through genuine company promotions,” he added.
Customers are advised not to disclose any personal or financial information to anyone over the phone. Nawras has a customer contact information database which does not require obtaining such information over the phone, Safrar said.
In the event that customer details need to be verified, they would be invited in to meet face to face with customer service at their convenience. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m