Bahrain set to launch 4G mobile telecom auction
Manama, February 25, 2013
NEW OPERATORS BARRED
Bahrain’s Cabinet yesterday approved an auction for fourth generation (4G) mobile telephone frequencies as part of efforts to upgrade the kingdom’s broadband infrastructure.
Minister of State for Telecommunications Affairs Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa submitted a memo in this regard, said a report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
Mobile phone companies operating in Bahrain will be invited to vie for the 4G mobile contract. No new mobile telephone operator will be allowed to enter the market.
Batelco hails move
The chief executive of leading telecom operator Batelco Group Shaikh Mohamed bin Isa Al Khalifa said the decision is crucial for commercially launching LTE in Bahrain.
“Batelco is ready with the network technology in place and we hope to be successful in winning the required spectrum to deliver this much awaited advancement to our customers,” he said.
“We extend our appreciation to the leadership and the government for their directives which has led to this crucial decision. The leadership’s support for the advancement of telecommunications in Bahrain has ensured it has remained one of the leading business hubs of the region.”
LTE refers to the fourth generation of mobile technology and enables the delivery of super fast data speeds.
“There is no doubt that LTE/4G will stimulate the path to the networked society in Bahrain by enabling global connectivity to the people, businesses and society,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite