Bahrain set to launch 4G mobile telecom auction
Manama, February 25, 2013
NEW OPERATORS BARRED
Bahrain’s Cabinet yesterday approved an auction for fourth generation (4G) mobile telephone frequencies as part of efforts to upgrade the kingdom’s broadband infrastructure.
Minister of State for Telecommunications Affairs Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa submitted a memo in this regard, said a report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
Mobile phone companies operating in Bahrain will be invited to vie for the 4G mobile contract. No new mobile telephone operator will be allowed to enter the market.
Batelco hails move
The chief executive of leading telecom operator Batelco Group Shaikh Mohamed bin Isa Al Khalifa said the decision is crucial for commercially launching LTE in Bahrain.
“Batelco is ready with the network technology in place and we hope to be successful in winning the required spectrum to deliver this much awaited advancement to our customers,” he said.
“We extend our appreciation to the leadership and the government for their directives which has led to this crucial decision. The leadership’s support for the advancement of telecommunications in Bahrain has ensured it has remained one of the leading business hubs of the region.”
LTE refers to the fourth generation of mobile technology and enables the delivery of super fast data speeds.
“There is no doubt that LTE/4G will stimulate the path to the networked society in Bahrain by enabling global connectivity to the people, businesses and society,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit