Qtel to unveil new initiatives at GSMA congress
Doha, February 20, 2013
Qtel Group leader will unveil a series of new initiatives to enrich customers’ lives at the upcoming GSMA Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from February 25-28.
Qtel Group, one of the world’s fastest-growing communications companies, is aiming to demonstrate its credentials as a forward-looking, community-focused company, said a statement.
Qtel Group continues to expand its reach and deliver innovative and essential services to more than 89 million customers in the Middle East, North Africa and Southeast Asia, it said.
The delegation from Qtel Group will be led by Qtel Group chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammed Bin Saud Al Thani, and will include teams working in some of the most interesting markets in the world, including Qtel in Qatar; Asiacell in Iraq; Indosat in Indonesia; Nawras in Oman; Nedjma in Algeria; Tunisiana in Tunisia; and Wataniya in Kuwait, the Maldives and Palestine.
Dr Nasser Marafih, group CEO of Qtel Group and chairman of the GSMA Mobile for Development Foundation, will focus on the challenges and the lessons learned by the group in his keynote presentation on “Connecting the Next Billions to the Internet.”
He will be joined on stage to tackle this challenging area by Gary Kovacs, CEO of Mozilla Corporation; Manoj Kohli, CEO (International) and Joint MD, Bharti Airtel; and Stephen Elop, president and CEO of Nokia.
Dr Marafih said: “Qtel Group believes that our services have the capability to enrich people’s lives. We will be focusing on the incredible social and human impact that communication services can deliver through our participation in Mobile World Congress this year, and outlining our bold plans for new initiatives that will benefit the communities that we serve.”
Across all markets, Qtel Group is deploying leading network technologies and smart investments to enable a better customer experience. The group has initiated a major network modernisation programme with use of latest 3G technology (U900), and increased emphasis on Wi-Fi, resulting in improved indoor quality and a better mobile broadband data experience, the statement said.
In Qatar, Qtel continues to install the Qtel Fibre broadband fibre-optic network across the country, and is preparing to commercially launch its 4G LTE mobile broadband network. Nawras and Wataniya in Kuwait have recently launched 4G networks, and Asiacell and Nedjma are preparing their 2G networks to be upgraded to 3G once they receive government licenses.
Qtel Group companies have also delivered services that promote social change, such as Tunisiana’s mLearning service "Najja7ni", developed in partnership with Silatech to support young people’s economic empowerment and a mHealth service for diabetics in Kuwait, Palestine and Iraq, it said.
The GMSA Mobile World Congress will be the largest communications event in the world this year, with more than 70,000 visitors expected to attend. - TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution