Batelco warns users of fraud calls, texts
Manama, February 17, 2013
Bahrain-based Batelco has issued a warning to its mobile customers to be on the alert regarding a spate of fraudulent calls and text messages informing them that they have won prizes including significant amounts of money.
“A number of Batelco’s customers have received calls or text messages asking them to reveal personal information and to provide prepaid top ups in order to qualify to win the prizes,” said Batelco’s group general manager of media relations, Ahmed Al Janahi.
“We strongly advise our customers that these are fraudulent calls and messages. Batelco will never ask for personal information of any nature such as bank account details or passwords,” he added.
Batelco issued several similar warnings over the last couple of years alerting its customers to hoax calls offering large cash prizes, a statement from the company said. Furthermore, Batelco has issued many previous warnings to customers regarding fraudulent text messages and emails.
Typically these messages ask for information about customers’ user names and passwords but these recent messages try to attract people by the promise of a big cash prize.
“Customers should be aware that such calls announcing that they have won money are fraudulent. We advise anyone who receives such calls or SMS to ignore them,” said Al Janahi.
To block unwanted SMS messages, send the text message "BLOCK SENDER" to 5000, replacing "SENDER" with the exact name or number that you wish to block.
Batelco always uses a professional process to contact its customers to inform them when they have won a prize and the customer would always be invited to Batelco’s Hamala Headquarters or a Batelco Retail Shop to collect any prize in person, the statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services