Mobinil eyes share listing to meet rules
Cairo, February 5, 2013
Egyptian cellphone operator Mobinil would prefer to list more shares on Cairo's stock exchange to meet new ownership rules than sell a bigger stake to a local company, its CEO said on Monday.
France Telecom owns 94 per cent of Mobinil, Orascom Telecom Media and Technology Holding owns 5 per cent, and only the remaining 1 per cent is listed on the exchange, Mobinil's website said.
"We seek to raise our shares in Egypt to 15 per cent and we have three steps to do that, another strategic partner, go to the stock market, or do both," CEO Yves Gauthier said.
"The most favourable option is to go to the stock market."
Asked when the company would do that, he said: "This depends on the economic situation in the country which is not very good... or stable now." The new rules were passed in 2012.
Gauthier also said the company would raise prices if new taxes were imposed, so that the company could meet its cash flow and salary demands. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network