Bahrain plans auction for 4G networks
Manama, January 30, 2013
Bahrain is set to auction radio spectrum for next-generation networks, a report said, adding that it will comprise five lots of spectrum primarily for long-term evolution (LTE), or 4G networks.
The three existing mobile operators in the kingdom, however said yesterday (January 29) that any further competition may jeopardise their financial viability, according the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
The winning bidders were expected to be announced in April.
In a consultation report on the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) website, the current operators – Batelco, Kuwaiti group Zain and Viva Bahrain, an affiliate of Saudi Telecom Company – said the auction should be restricted to them and WiMax operator Menatelecom, a subsidiary of Kuwait Finance House.
Besides the three mobile operators, 10 Internet providers also serve Bahrain. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat unveils high-data mobile bundles
- Bahrain to be ready for 5G network by 2017
- Eset wins top reseller award
- Etisalat wins performance award at CommsMEA
- Mideast IT spending to top $32bn in 2014
- MiX Telematics unveils fleet management solutions
- Etisalat unveils 100 MB data for prepaid users
- Du backs UAE entrepreneurs unit
- Aruba names new EMEA vice president
- Survey to measure UAE mobile radiation levels